Monday, September 3, 2012

Helping People > Talking About It

I'm going to be honest, I mostly don't care what people think, what beliefs they hold dear or what terrible thoughts they suppress in their minds.  I find a person's philosophy interesting, but gladly associate with people of many disparate philosophies.  I care what people do.

Everyone has flaws and everyone has tendencies that aren't positive.  That's part of being human.  That's what makes life on this planet interesting.

Too often I see peer groups dismiss people and philosophies that are not in line with their own.  I find this act foolish.  For us to progress as a society, we have to work together, not come up with ways to create divisions.  Alienating people of differing philosophies or beliefs is exactly the opposite of working together.

I don't care if you empathize with the plight of the poor and homeless or vote the "right" way to support social programs that supposedly help them.  I do care if a person takes time to be charitable.  I do care if a person offers resources to charity.  I do care if people help their fellow man.

We all have gifts.  Some of us have talents.  Some of us have artistic flair.  Some of us have jobs that allow us comfortable lives and discretionary income.  Some of us have an abundance of free time.  It's how you use your gifts and resources that is important.  What you believe or think isn't that important to me.  What you do, the choices you make and the mark you leave on the world is.

No comments:

Post a Comment