Thursday, December 29, 2011

Personal Responsibility

I'm a big believer in personal responsibility.  You'll see that theme run through my posts here.  Everybody makes mistakes and most people need a helping hand from time to time, so I also believe in and support charity. 

I see however a lot of people in my world who wear the mantle of victimhood.  They make mistakes and immediately seek to blame another.  They see oppressors around every corner and feel they are "owed" certain goods or services.  Any setback in their life is due to the transgression of another, they spent all their time critiquing others and assuming they are always in the right.   I have to say in this way I must agree with a quote from Mark Twain:

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living.  The world owes you nothing.  It was here first."


Because of this belief of mine, I support activities that try to empower people to be more self-sufficient.  I think this can help people on their path to greater personal responsibility.  I certainly know it's been an important part of my path.  I volunteer with a group that promotes disaster preparedness to a unique demographic.  (more on that later!)  I've also developed a course I've nicknamed "Firearm Safety for Pacifists".  The course is a way to help introduce firearm safety to a demographic that's often not reached.  It's a dangerous world full of guns and everybody should know how to safely handle a firearm should the need arise in their life.

Firearms are an ideal force equalizer.  The smallest woman or frailest elderly person has nothing to fear from a thug if they can defend themself with a firearm.  The man confined to a wheelchair can stand toe to toe with a violent aggressor in terms of force.  The disparity of force between the mugger and the chosen victim is neutralized and even moved in favor of the armed and trained citizen. 

We are perfectly comfortable with police officers carrying guns because they are properly trained.  It's my belief that society can be just as comfortable with typical citizens carrying a gun because they are trained to do so as well.  Taking the initiative to gain skills to prevent yourself from becoming a victim is a great way to become more self-sufficient.  In this blog you'll see some frequent posts regarding firearms and general preparedness for that reason.  It's my attempt to offer some reasonable and palatable thoughts on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment