Sunday, February 5, 2012

Aging

As a man in the summer of my life I am aware of the effects of aging.  Mostly I don't mind it.  I'm a lot more open minded than I was in my youth and I certainly have better control of my temper.  It's possible I may have even accumulated some wisdom along the way.  There are really only 3 things about getting older that get on my nerves.

First is how long it takes to heal.  I play in a hockey league and in my 20's my bruises would be gone in 4 or 5 days.  Now they take 4 or 5 days to really come and 2 weeks to fully heal.  That's seriously uncool.  I can only imagine what it'll be like in my 50's.  At some point I may have to start wearing some pads.

Next is grey hair.  I'm not sure who invented this but I'm not a fan.  It's like some of my hair is dying on top of my head and on my face.  And I know one day one of those grey buggers is going to show up in my pubes.  That is seriously uncool as well.  I mean, I'm not going to start coloring my hair, I just think grey hair is kinda dumb.  We should evolve beyond that as a species.

The last thing that's annoying about getting old is the accumulation of nagging injuries.  Ever half decade or so I end up screwing up my body in some way that has lasting effects.  When I was 20 I screwed up my back and have had problems ever since.  If I don't keep up with exercises to keep my core strong it causes constant pain and other problems.  I tore a ligament or tendon in my groin in my 20's and it didn't heal right.  I've got about no flexibility as it is and it's more limited in my right leg.  It takes almost nothing to pull it again so I have to be mindful about the sort of exercise I do.  A few years back I buggered up a knee pretty good (fracture, torn cartilage and sprained mcl) and like my back I have to do certain exercises to keep the muscles around it strong or it causes me problems.  I fear the older I get the more of my life I have to devote to maintenance exercises just to stay healthy.  It's annoying.

But, I guess growing old certainly beats the alternative, so I may as well rock it.

No comments:

Post a Comment